Temari ball – three experiments

July 22, 2011

27.3cm circumf; perle cotton #5.

I had a go at this because I was attracted by the colour scheme, even though it didn’t fit any standard pattern of colour relationships: the red-violet matches the yellow-green which intersects with it, but the addition of a blue and violet combo does not. That is, it doesn’t form a standard triadic or tetradic colour scheme. But I still like it and it seems to ‘work’.

In terms of execution, a slightly smaller mari (25cm circumf perhaps) would have evened up the amount of dark blue negative space. I would have liked to have added more violet rounds in order to go right up to the ‘seams’ of the six squares, but I had insufficient space for any more green rows, and I didn’t want to upset the balance of interwoven kousa rows by simply adding ‘bands’ over the top. I paid a lot more attention to exact measurements for the jiwari  marking lines and that paid off with better kousa interweaving.  I used perle cotton #8 for the jiwari marking threads, only possible as here if there aren’t too many cross-overs at the poles.

26.5cm circumference

This started out as a ball for another design, but this is the first time I’ve used the design of four large interlocking hexagons on a C8. The design turns out to be quite common in the Japanese temari books, with different effects gained by varying the width of the bands. Just three rows as used here was on the mean side, but I was somewhat restricted in the size of the hexagon I could use: it more or less had to be 3.5cm out for each of the spokes of the hexagon. I thought the existing pattern inside the hexagon a bit plain so I added a six-pointed ‘rose garden’ and then a triangle to contain it. I’m not greatly taken with the ‘rose garden’ but thought I’d photograph it before ripping it out. The ‘rose garden’ isn’t a fully efficient way of utilising the space created by the hexagon – some sort of triwing would work better. A logical follow-on from this would be changing the dimensions of the hexagons slightly; see colour photo Cosmo Book 4 page 5 ball #7 (no pattern), worked on a ball just a fraction larger than this one. Colleagues in the Yahoo! Group are considering taking a set design and replacing a pattern component with another, so I’m in the mood for looking at designs in terms of taking out components and replacing them with others.

25.5cm circumference

I’m mad about yellow at the moment and found this colour scheme in one of the Ozaki books (1990, ISBN 4-8377-0790-4; colour photo page 11, ball #4). The original is worked on a C10 but I adapted it here to a C6. here the black-and-white band is interlocked around the blue diamonds stitched first. I stitched the band over the top of the diamonds originally and didn’t like the effect – I hadn’t stretched the points massively, as required in triwings, so it looked a bit squat bunched up around the pole.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: