Temari – Rolling On Floor Laughing

July 18, 2011

I was so happy about the first magnolia buds appearing and about colleagues who’d achieved Japan Temari Association certification that, silly me, I attempted a 29cm circumference mari with small squares surrounded by bands. 

After this failure – rolling on floor laughing! – I needed to pick myself up quick smart, so went to the best collection of online temari patterns at www.temarimath.info. A multitude of temari, appropriate to my ability level, are presented with a minimum of fuss. I get confused by online instructions posted by others; for example, one pattern I came across had a single sentence in the instructions which was five lines long. A case of heavy editing required!

  

These are from Debi’s notebook of 2005 and I recognised this one as having been described elsewhere by an Australian colleague here on the east coast, best known these days for her wash paperi-covered  eggs.

I applied my current thoughts about colour work: orange with a blue complementary, yellow with a complementary violet and a fuschia red (always a difficult colour) with its complementary yellow-green. In the spirit of the current Strike-out challenge at Yahoo! Temari Challenge, I started playing with design elements, adding kiku and stripes around the diamonds to the yellow-violet, but they concealed the elegant basketwork-like bands, so ripped them out. The fuschia reminds me of watermelon in the (real) natural world.

The orange-blue was the first and I ended up squeezing in too many rounds, in addition to making too many tiny errors with the required interlocking. As with interlocking of a certain complexity, it helps here to have a “real” temari to copy from. The interlocking creates a wonderful sense of stitching hand-movements so the process is very relaxing after the first row is accurately in place all around.

One thing I’m teaching myself is to groom threads a lot more than I used to; I’ve never witnessed temari making by others, but I strongly suspect they are constantly nudging their stitched rows as they go. In these examples, constantly checking stitches at marking thread cross-overs is important!

All are 25cm circumference; singles from DMC metallics and the usual pearl cotton #5. Nine stitched rows per mandorla allow for an appropriate amount of negative space to shine through. In the orange-blue one, I pushed the envelope by stitching twelve rows.

References

www.temarimath.info  The photo gallery at Debi’s Notebooks allows for easy access to pattern instructions.

Advertisements

2 Responses to “Temari – Rolling On Floor Laughing”


  1. Love these! The orange wrapping thread is particularly striking.

    • rodbyatt Says:

      I’ve tried a few with this over-the-top orange and they definitely need bright/dark stitching colours to match. Anything light gets swallowed up by the orange – not a colour many people use.
      Couldn’t leave a comment on your blogspot (something illegal letters in the URL) in praise of the superb triwings “floating in space” you’ve done recently.
      These and Debi’s latest interlocked bands are inspirational!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: