Tuesday Temari 10

August 21, 2010

Stitched with thick, unmercerised cotton (pinks,  with bands of mauve). The difference between the two? The distance from the centre of each kiku flower: one is 2/3 and the other is 1/2 the distance. The flowers were stitched first and the bands added afterwards; I’m not sure if there is a “correct” order or whether the Japanese prefer to stitch the bands first.

Same surface pattern, but a brighter, “warm” colour palette, stitched in perle cotton #5.

Advertisements

2 Responses to “Tuesday Temari 10”

  1. Rebecca Says:

    Hi Rod,

    I love this one. I just made this type of design (C8) last week. I chose purple on green with taupe and brown bands. I made to bottom layer of the flower as braided stitch.

    • rodbyatt Says:

      Thanks! For the sake of “completeness” (i.e. fuller understanding of the way the design can operate), I ought to adapt this surface pattern to C8 also. I could jazz things up by interlocking the top and bottom layers of petals, too. Braided stitch is also something I ought to pursue.
      It seemed a lot easier to stitch the bands after the flowers, rather than the other way round, but I wonder if this sequence is not possible with more complicated bandwork, e.g. basketweave. Plainly, more complicated permutations of bands is the next progression for me and I’ve been looking at basketweave patterns with this in mind.
      Having done three temari in the same size with three rows of plain bands, the next step (see TT 12) is to thicken the bands and make them interlock.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: